Sunday, April 11, 2010

How I Quit Runescape

It was one month ago, RuneScape had started to take a toll on my time, life and future. Was playing from morning till night. And when 10 hours of playing seem like 10 minutes, quitting runescape can be your only option. Deceived - What can I say? ... When you can't stop thinking about it even while shi**ing , or when you don't even have time to eat because of your addiction, you know something has to be done, so I sparred myself the therapy sessions and took action. This happens to me every year by the way (quitting like that). Here's my story prior to quitting rs this year...

It all began 3-4 months ago, when I was pking with my pure in a pvp world, near the grand exchange. I was f2p, you know; money comes in hardly and goes away quickly when pking, (and especially with that new drop potential rule where you get nerfed drops if you're not willing to wait 30 minutes between kills). So there was I, in grand exchange with my range to rune2h setup, trying to find my next opponent to fight, when I suddenly pass next a guy of my level. He was trying to find an opponent aswell, and with one million gp on him, he claimed he was quitting runescape after he'd die with that money on! ;I traded him and he was right, he had 1.1milion in cash! Back then, when money was worth more in rs, I / f2players could hope to gain that kind of money in a good 20-25 hours to the least. You can imagine how excited I was! He told me to put a team cape on or no fight, which I did in a rush before anyone else would get him to fight.

      When we were ready, he showed me the money one last time before stepping out of the safe zone, and off we went at each other, range pure against range pure (level 57 I think, he 56). I had a few chances to take him out, though after we both ran out of food, went to bank and back to it again for another round. But this time, it was a good streak, I did not even have the time to eat a lobster of my own that he finds himself in trouble - switched to my 2h and finished him off with an 18 (today it would have been a 180 hit). I remember it like it was yesterday; he dropped dead on the ground and there stood all the money, the beautiful money! 1.1 million cash + some items in f2p, my biggest drop to this date. He then came back from Lumbridge to see if I've gotten the money and after I've reassured him, told me one last goodbye before he quit. And I've never seen him again.

2 Months Later...  I was struggling with real life, being strangled by runescape as I told you earlier. Giving away my account to someone and tell them to change the password could have been an option aswell. But I decided to pay tribute to that one guy instead, who made my day back then. So I emptied my bank, sold everything on the grand exchange and took out 700k cash on me -all I had-, went to pk with it. After a while, I died with it, making someone incredibly happy and passed on the love that I have had gotten one day too. If you too intend to quit one day, I suggest you empty your bank, go in pvp and pass on the tradition, you will make someone happy who will in turn, probably be entitled to do the same when he quits. And the best part is that it will really want to make you quit and not return for a while.

5 Benefits of Quitting Runescape:
  • More time on your hands
  • You wake up to reality, you can explore the real world - and better graphics!
  • You can get a part time job if you go to school, and with the money earned, buy 10 times more gold or better account than you otherwise would have made sitting at home.
  • You can get a girlfriend this time, and not a gf ...(I know you know the difference!)
  • Do something real this time, make a plan for the next day, month year and more. Live life to the fullest & do something that your kids or relatives would be feel proud of you one day.
Jagex is a company like many others, they have their good and bad sides. But at the end of the day, you will see that they mind their own business, you are just a good paying customer to them. They don't care about their game either, what they care about is that the masses like their game so they can make the most money out of it in middle and long-term. If you didn't know, they already seriously considered selling gold themselves (what they call real world trading). Quit runescape today, live your life tonight! I'm still playing rs by the way, at only 2-3 hours per week; I enjoy life now.

    If you liked this post, you may want to Subscribe to Weekly Updates!

    17 comments:

    Brad said...

    Great story!
    Here's a video of how badly runescape affected my life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTneRRHfGwk

    Anonymous said...

    THanks for the story.I quit.I was level 93 member.Oneday the members renewel did not go through.I was sent back to f2p.I was getting ready to pay the membership.Then i realized how bad it was becoming.I Went to fally party room.Shoved in 1.1mil and left.I had many members items in my bank.But they are useless and unusable now.I will not go back to members.I am done.Only thing i might do is pk once in a blue moon.I banked everything.Went to the lumbridge church.I took note of my surroundings.The thing i havent done since level 25-30.I noticed one place in the game i had not been.I went up a ladder.And another.Got to a bell.I drained my prayer.Rung the bell.And quit.

    Jesus Christ said...

    Now see this is difficult. I have a mauler pure lvl 56 50 attk 74 str 79 range with 6 mil on him and a few days of mems. i also bot hardcore so making money isnt a problem but i want to quit. i just cant. i tried changing the pass but no one would help me. fml. any tips?

    Brad said...

    sell your account

    Pi said...

    Inspirational story but quitting runescape is no the best option to stop the addiction. I agree with the 2-3hours idea.

    Anonymous said...

    I get you guys...I just quit runescape about 5-6 months ago by quitting my membership and changing the password to something anonymous like...emmm ajsdlkfjalkjbpoiq. But its been kindof hard after quitting my account. He was a level 131 had almost all the skill capes exept summoning and owned more than 300M including items.
    But life has been better after I quit. People stopped calling me The Addict, and I became more social. I even got myself a girlfriend :). But the urge still continues being strong after I quit. I feel like creating a new account and playing again. ughhh...The memories I had playing. The memories Pking, Skilling, and getting my first skill cape. But now I see its only a game that gives you a false sense of accomplishment. Thanks for the story btw

    Alexander said...

    Anonymous#1 - Cool story, It's nice of giving away all your things - and you feel relieved afterwards.

    Anon#2 - Amazing to see that you've gone so far in the game. Congratulations on your gf! If you can continue to channel the same energy from the game towards the real world, you will go far in life. I liked your sentence aswell ; "Its only a game that gives you a false sense of accomplishment". - It can be very true at times. I'll even make a new post about it and see what people think. Thanks for your story, and I hope I see you around soon.
    ------
    Thanks to people who leave comments and share their stories, it's always a fun read and something that rs players (past and present) can connect to and learn from eachother.

    Anonymous said...

    i got like 9 mill scammed from me on my level 123. and i have plenty of money (well over 80mill+) with great items like dragon claws, bandos gs, fire cape, you name it.

    i got so mad about being hacked i was just like. screw it. then i realized why the hell am i playing this game. I realized I wouldn't be upset about being hacked if I just quit entirely, and I did. I cancled my subscription 5 minutes later and now I feel great. What was I doing wasting my time with that dumb game, regardless of how great my character was.

    Anonymous said...

    IF YOU QUIT GIVE ME YOUR STUFFF PLEASSSEEEEEEEE. dont let it go to waste i enjoy runescape but play with discipline only 2 hours and day. so please if you have items u dont want email me @ myspace988@yahoo.com

    Anonymous said...

    u think ishould quit runescape? im a level 100 with well over 120m +. it so hard though someone help me!

    Anonymous said...

    Great story, i resently quit too. I had a level 138 with 14 skillcapes and quest cape. 6 chaotics and all those things most people can only dream about. But having it all is boring.. I remember going bandos for the first time. Even tho I didn't get anything it was still exciting and adventorous, which is why I kept playing. But now, with almost everything accomplished, knowing everything, all adventures done, nothing new and exciting I have quit.

    I went to world 2 and diced 128M (santa hat) and lost.. Somehow i made it all back +15M by dicing, and went to bed. The next day, after 3 hours of dicing i had a 400M bank (300M before) and was thinking that this could not go wrong.. but it did. 3 hours later i was cleaned... You'd really be surprised how the luck system jagex made can screw up everything. nothing's fair on rs, but that's how life is.

    Now, a few months later, i finally seem to have quit for real. That urge to play is rare now and i like being able to spend all my day in real life, instead of just hanging with my friends when I'm in school, I now have all day.

    Sure the boredom comes around some weekend days, and I start thinking about RS, but now i think back to those good memories.. my first few 99s, elysian sigil drop, funning with my friends and exploring that one special game..

    I've tried looking for other games, not completely like rs, but with somehow that same adventorous feeling, but sadly, that game does not excist.. Every other mmorpg are just bad and cheap copies of WoW nowadays. But maybe that's just for my best, I can't keep playing these sort of games forever.

    RuneScape is a game I will NEVER forget. And in the future, I'll look back to my memories with a smile. I will miss some of my RS friends and their great company. But even good times has to end, sadly.

    Sincerely
    A fellow Ex-RuneScape player ;)

    Alexander said...

    @Anonymous/Fellow Ex-RuneScape player

    Wow buddy your story's been a great read, I love it. You sure had a lot of determination to get those level 99's... I've been playing for 9 years almost on and off and only came up with level 80's... If you can have the same determination in real life as you had in runescape, I bet you can achieve anything you want. Go out there, start a small job, make a business plan, get good grades, practise a sport you like, work on your other passions, go out! I wish you all the best, and I hope you come back here once in a while to let me know what you've done ;) Cheers!

    Anonymous said...

    I have played Runescape for (at minimum) five years or so, and today as I am logging on, I think, what if I took those five years spent on this game, and had used them for something productive? Imagine how many languages you could learn in five years, or how ripped you could become, or how many many more precious hours you could spend with your loved ones. Think about it, Runescape is a game; real life is, well, real life. Where it matters, where a Chaotic and maxed stats don't count.

    Not only does playing Runescape eat away your time, it also introduces you to a nasty thing: other players. Log into F2P and your computer will crash because of all the auto-talkers advertising RS cash sites. Walk up to a high-level player with a partyhat and say 'hi'. Half of the people I did this too replied with '...hi?', or 'gtfo nub', or nothing at all. Having two max cashstacks doesn't make you any better a person in real life than anyone else. This was really one of the biggest warning signs of addiction to me, making me wonder if I was becoming one of these people myself.

    Runescape has and always will be a part of my life. Trying to deny it is like trying to eliminate all the childhood memories of myself and my friends inventing our own similar games outside, building cities and waging war in the woods behind my house. If you must play, play to remember. Play to have fun. But never, ever let yourself play to be superior.

    Anonymous said...

    I have played Runescape for the past years, on and off... for probably around 4-5 years total. As i am logging in today i think about all the hours i have wasted in this game... for what? For a pixel-ated cape which has no meaning in real life...

    I have lost most of my friends thanks to Runescape... because no one wants an addict to be his friend. MY family are very concerned about this addiction and have tried multiple things to make me quit this game but I have always managed to by-pass them and start playing again. Last summer I spent around 8 hours a day playing... when i could have been swimming or having out with some friends.

    I am badly trying to quit and hopefully I will someday quit. Keep this blog alive as it gives an opportunity for current and past Runescape players to express themselves and tell their experiences and stories.

    If you are an ex-Runescape player or just a person doing a bit research about Runescaoe to see if it is worth playing, I advice not to even start playing. Because then it will be too late and you'll probably end up like me... no life, no fiends and no gf.

    Anonymous said...

    well, i knew i needed to do something once i was putting off exams to get a barrellchest anchor. i was shocked to see that i has 42 days of playing time on one account. i have many accounts, it could easily be 75 days of playing time. honestly i've been sick of the game. its just... i've met amazing people on runescape and i just feel bad leaving them, unlike most people i have friends. but i dont do anything outside of school except runescape. no one knows i play runescape. but i need to quit, but i think its still ok to call my parents noobs. cause they are

    satanicaqua said...

    wow this post made me realize so many things. honestly i wanted to quit playing becuase i lost 500k by a mage and then he tried to scam me for my dwarf cannon set and so on. i swear i was so sad and after helping my mom out all day (8hrs) and losing a football game (im 13 fresman fb) it seems that nothing is good in life. eh and this happened on a noob account level 82 which is my main and i a=was so mad that i lost what, 50 freaking cents?? jeez makes me reevaluate my life. well if your quitting or want to get like a perma ban i want to ge ta whole group and w ewill just have some serious fun then drop all our money and quit. if you want to my rs name is my name= satanicaqua, join my fc and we will trully quit. btw 50k was my bank....

    The One said...

    You don't need to quit so you can have a life. Go to http://www.powerbot.org and download the free bot. That way your time won't be wasted by playing the game legit. I don't think many people do that anyway, and botany bay is fake, the bot seeking progams are just as stupid as ever because 80% of rs users bot frequently. Just bot 6 hours and take a couple hour breaks in between and you'll be fine.

    Post a Comment