Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Top 5 Staking Tips for Serious Stakers

Okay, so far it's been about 16-17 days that staking re-appeared. I've started this staking game with a total of 667k raw trout, around 1 million in cash, and 13k pie dishes along with other items. Ive started with ~15 million gold. During this short time-span, I've went from around 15 million worth to 19 million, then dropping to 16 million, then all the way down to 20k in items (almost broke) to completely broke. Then I've came back to 22 million before finally falling down completely to 700k in cash and items (my current money as of writing this).

Loosing 15 million is not a big deal though. I'm gratefull for the staking experience gained. Here are my top 5 best staking tips that any wealth-aspiring staker should put these in application;

1. Get good stats; There's no denial that carefully planned stats make you win. Your character's levels are permanent, and you can't go back once you've got one. Make sure to keep 1 prayer if possible, as 95% of people stake with prayer turned off. Having level 1 prayer truly saves you from gaining unecessary combat levels (and put you to an advantage against those who do got more than 1, but check 'off' this option from the staking screen - which is most often the case). Other levels to be warry of include excessive attack or defence (arguably). When planning out your stats, make sure to use your favorite combat calculator. If you don't know what are good stats to have or not, make sure to ask in the comments and I'll give you some feedback wether I think they'd be good or not ;). I've been in pvp for 7-8 years so I know what I'm doing.

2. Learn to negotiate your stakes and say NO; Negotiating your bets and be able to say NO to risky conditions or risky opponents is an important ability that will directly impact your cash stack. To give you an example, I've been loosing significant money while almost being maxed out for my combat level (81 range 80 str, 80 magic 76 hp, 1 prayer 1 defence) with 58 combat [1 constitution level and 1 strenght and magic level away from maxed].  This was due in part because I was staking others who had very similar stats as myself, or even slightly higher and offered no real advantage in battling against. The cause was of frustration of finding no one to stake.


3. Stake only if you have an advantage (stat-wise); With some luck, you can make some quick gp staking people that have the same levels and stats as you, but on the long run, staking small to medium amounts of gp against people weaker than you (even slightly weaker) is what will make you win in the long-run (and keep  you from going broke). You need to have the power upon yourself to systematically refuse staking people that are higher combat, even if you have been looking for an opponent for ages without luck.

4. Do not stake if frustrated, or feel for revenge; As said earlier, runescape can be a frustrating game. If you loose your cool, do not stake! Take some time off and head to the wilderness, or better yet - do some personal projects, homework, or other real-life related tasks until you feel fresher. Exercising is also good for tension-relief.

5. Stake a little more when you have been assigned luck (often are the first one to hit);

Update : Learn how to get the first hit in a stake (and have luck). Just updated this. First hits are associated with "having luck" and winning more often.

In runescape, 'real luck' does not really exist. If you've noticed, "luck" is rather assigned ranging from various degrees from high to low - let's say 0 to 100. I've noticed that when you are in a duel and you do the first hit, you will get higher hits throughout the duel than you'd normally do, and more often. I also remember reading somewhere that in runescape classic, the luck factor was displayed on the page source code, but that in runescape2/hd, it is completely hidden.

You can verify your luck by seeing who gets items first (despite clicking in same time) using telekenetic grab with friends, or just have some 'fun duels' with different people no matter their combat level, just to see who hits first. If you've duelled for fun with several players and have been able to hit first on most or a big portion of them, then it means that you've been assigned considerable luck.

Furthermore, I highly suspect that the more time you are logged in the game, your luck tends to get trickled up (but not always). This is from what I recall in my zammorack wine telegrabbing experience; the telegrabbers who used to stay logged in longer in a world used to be the ones who were able to get the wine first. I am 100% sure that there is a luck factor involved. I recount even when I used to systematically loose in stakes against the same one opponent who won around 10 million from me; two days later I was not only beating him systematically, but doing so with big margins ex.easily winning. And as a matter of fact, I had cleaned this guy his 17 million - giving him back 1 so he could start somewhere.

If you think that you've been assigned luck, you can increase your stakes slightly. From my own experience, good luck is worth up to 2-3 extra combat levels (from my point of view, and I am level 58 combat). So remember that a good idea before fighting an opponent for a large sum of money, would be to estimate your luck (and his!). You may duel him a smaller amount first for instance, to see who has been assigned more luck.

So that's about it for now. I will add more tips when I can find. But what are your own staking tips? Right now, I'm sure I've missed a good couple, please let us know so we can discuss it or if you want me to add them on the list. With some more, I will make a full guide. Cheers !

If you liked this post, you may want to Subscribe to Weekly Updates!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is actually a really good guide, thanks, although staking isnt my thing as I am not a gambler/risk taker. :)

Meili said...

That's good advice, lol especially number one. You might have to make a new character to stake with if your main's stats are not good for it.


The Runescape Wilderness - Meili's RS Blog

Anonymous said...

WIll 76 att 71 def 96 str work?

Alexander said...

how much hp do you got, what is your combat level? If you have high strenght, I think you would do better in boxing than armor fighting.

Anonymous said...

gj, best tip: dont rage stake, train hp.

Anonymous said...

nothing about luck, lol
The first hit is about player ID, everyone randomly gets one 1-2000 when logging in, the lower PID always gets firsthit until his PID starts lagging what happens around 10 stakes.
There are like 3 ways to know when u have better PID before staking. I will sell the guides and prove them ingame
teistmoodivend@hotmail.com

Alexander said...

anonymous who left his email;

Yes, I think Player Id would be the exact term I meant when I said "being assigned luck". With a lower(luckier) PID how you call it, you pick-up items faster, telegrab faster, hit higher and more. Your luck potential goes up - you get lucky more often. I've verified this a few times, I can can testify that at times when I log out and back in, my luck seems to change. And PID seems to change every 30 minutes aswell

Alexander said...

Apparently you can find out your PID (assigned luck potential) in runescape CLASSIC by looking directly at source code of the java interface (the window you are playing rsc in), but I heard that this code is hidden in runescape2/runescape hd. From there, there would probably only be speculative ways to esstimate PID as you call it.

Don't scam people though, I feel it's a scam

Anonymous said...

I have 90 def, 94 range, 83hp, 45 prayer, 87 mage, 70 attk, 75 str. I'm currently range-tank based. Combat is at about 96 or 97. Is this good to stake with? Why or why not? What would be preferable?

Alexander said...

@Anony. with the range tank

Nice work on the account, these are nice stats. I've plugged your stats into a combat calculator, to find out that your combat level is melee based.

You are level 95 combat and you can gain 3 more range levels (up to 97 range) while still being level 95 combat (any prayer, hp, defence, attack or strenght level will make you 96). You should definitely do that before staking with range. If you get those levels, you will have better stats for duelling. The only downside on this account I'd say is 45 prayer whereas level 1 pray would have saved you around 5 combat levels in which you could have spent them on either hitpoints, defence or range.

But most of the time, you will not be at a disadvantage with this, as most people around the duelling area with your combat level also have prayer. To be sure, look up other people's prayer levels before staking and see where their prayer level stands compared to yours (as well as other levels).

If you want to become a hardcore staker though, 1 prayer with these stats would definitely be a winner. Let me know if you have more questions. Also stay tuned, I will post a guide soon to show you how to fake your stats...Cheers!

Anonymous said...

What about 80 att str and def.? i dont have that. but i want to get that to stake, would that be good or should you be like a str pure or what?

Alexander said...

For staking as a Melee to fight other meleers, probably the best stats would be high def very low strength and high attack.

An example would be 70 attack 80 defence 30 strength with 1 prayer and summoning. Also, I advise you to keep your hitpoints as low as possible (in the 20s)

Anonymous said...

Dear Alexander, Recently I started staking with 2m and I literlly multiplied it. I got about 30m in 2 days, but since today I lost it all. And now I seem to hit fewer, and haveless ' luck'. Would the PID have anything to do with the ' bad luck ' that I am currently having?
So far I got 3m but I 2 days earlier I had a win/loss ration of atleast 5wins/loss and I really was frustrated and as I read in your tips it is not good to play when frustrated. You do very dumb things ( already thanks for that ) but now my question was how can this be ' fixed ' because I know there is something in brain of runescape that CAN help me out to get the 30m back. Would it be the PID?

Thanks in advance and very good tips by the way!

Alexander said...

Hey Elias, It is easy to get frustrated when staking... in fact I get frustrated almost every single time when going staking... you know why? because the kids there have nothing to do all fucking day, they rather try cheating on you and waste your time than get a fair stake and you can literally wait hours to just get a couple of worthy stakes...

Here are two more tips; look up an account with similar but slightly lower stats or with high prayer (if you have 1 prayer) and copy change your account name to his (but put (L's) or (I's) INSTEAD of his name, so when people try to look you up, they see that you are weaker than your level...

example: youve spoted the player Lizard12345 and he has lower stats than you... change your name to Izard12345 ... people will likely look up the other guy (with L)

try different psychology tricks, the way you ask for stakes, don't ask it the way that seasoned pro's do, try to sound like a newb.

That's about all I can think of now, I haven't played or staked in a while buddy... and I gotta get going to this party soon

Anyway, if you want to waste less time trying to find the good opponent for you, let me know, I could make a new post on here telling people your name and that you wanna stake

Cheers!

Post a Comment